The Demon (Japanese: 魔族 Mazoku) members are, generally speaking, beings who come from a sort of Hell, known as Nadiria, World of Darkness or Dark World. Most of them despise humanity and would like to see them wiped out, and some go to great lengths to bring this about. That said, some are sympathetic to humans and wish to strive for peaceful coexistence, but the general consensus is still that humans have monopolized the world, which should be for everyone, and forced the far fewer demons into Hell with their prejudice and outright violence.
Unlike with other races, their morphology varies widely from species to species. The Japanese word means both a sort of "Demon" or "Magic". Rhapthorne is a demon from the World of Darkness that tried create a gate that would connect the World of Light and the World of Darkness into one world and its ruler would be Rhapthorne.
The Evil Family is a race living in Nadiria, a world below the surface. Hadlar who was the Demon King tried to conquer the lands above but was defeated by Avan and resurected by the Great Demon King Vearn.
Dragon knights are hybrids of Humans, Dragons and the Evil Family.
In Dragon Quest IV, the current Lord of the Underworld, Estark was locked in a tomb underground in Mamon Mine a thousand years before the beginning of the game, and is asleep until excavators accidentally reach his tomb. However, the Hero of Dragon Quest IV defeats him, shortly after which the second-most prominent demon, Psaro, takes on the position and seeks to wipe out humanity, but is also defeated. However, Psaro's desire to wipe out humanity was orchestrated by Aamon, his right hand man, to take his position of the Master of Monsterkind. However, after Rose is revived, Psaro returns to his normal self and helps the Chosen get revenge on Aamon, truly bringing peace to the world.
In Dragon Quest V, in Nadiria, Grandmaster Nimzo is waiting for the Zenithian Hero, and has sent various demons to terrorize the world in preparation for his arrival. In addition, he is Aamon's last disciple, having mastered the Secret of Evolution better than what Psaro & his master could do.
The race is greatly expanded on in this game. At first, only Nelgel, Demon Marshal Zerudorado, & Madesagora are the prime demons that the Hero needs to defeat to restore peace in Astoila. However, after Nadraga & Kyronos's defeats, Nadiria starts to undergo a power struggle, and Pujyu takes Kyronos's Shock seed to open the gate to the demon realm, after which Valeria comes out and defeats the Hero. The Hero is rescued by Yushka, and his skin turns purple, after which Yushka helps out the Hero to regain his normal self. After uniting the fighting kingdoms, The Oracle reveals that Jagonuba created the Demon race from Ogres, Wetlings, Poppets, Dwarfs, and Elves that were converted.
- From Dragon Quest I to VIII, the title "魔族の王" (King of Mazokus) was used for each of the following characters with varying translations, as it could simply mean "demon king" without a specific context. It is translated as "monster lord" by Dragon Quest of the Stars. The word was notably not used in episode IX onwards but gained prominence in the Japan-only Dragon Quest X.
- Psaro the Manslayer
- Psaro, when recruited in the DS remake, had it as his class which was translated as "Master of Monsters"
- Mordegon, Lord of Shadows
- Xiphos the Deathbringer
- "魔族の森" is a Dragon Quest Heroes II location with its name literally meaning "forest of the mazokus", but localised as "Wildwood"
- The way they are portrayed in the franchise is somewhat similar to Dark Elves in western media. It is unknown if they were a direct influence.
- For the manga The Adventure of Dai, the word was used prominently for a specific race. The one time it was romanized was in Jump Comics Perfect Book Dai #1 as "Evil". Furthermore, Spain and France used "Famille du Mal" and "Familia del mal" which translate literally to "Evil family" in some edition.
|This article is a stub.|
Please help Dragon Quest Wiki by expanding it.