Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes Online is the tenth mainline game in the Dragon Quest series.
Unlike all other numbered titles, X is a massively-multiplayer online game with a subscription model. As of current, it has never been released outside of Japan.
Dragon Quest X features user-created characters with the series' traditional job system, with Warrior, Priest, Mage, Martial Artist, Thief, and Minstrel as starter jobs. Unlike previous games, jobs can be changed in any of the game's towns.
Dragon Quest X is the first numbered title that breaks the Dragon Quest tradition of turn-based combat; the combat becomes more action-based by breaking the order of the attacks.
The game includes a quest system similar to that of Dragon Quest IX. Quests serve as side-stories helping non-player characters around the game's world. Multiple quests can be performed simultaneously with some even interlocking and unlocking various stages in fellow quests. Early quests include gathering magical spring water, slaying monsters and stealing for a fellow thief. Like the previous Dragon Quest installment, Dragon Quest X contains many open ended mini-quests. Upon completion of the quests, a "Quest List log," serving as an in-game achievement list. There are also brand new "Job quests" that can only be received when the player is practicing specific jobs.
This game also includes two new features as a reference to other RPG games: the Fire Colosseum and the Magic Labyrinth. The Fire Colosseum allows the player challenge again some storyline bosses that are modified to be stronger and the Magic Labyrinth acts like the grottos of Dragon Quest IX. Although the first one is located at the top of a snowy mountain, several labyrinths can be encountered during the gameplay, and in the most strange possible places, like a mirror in the Royal Palace of Gran Zedoura in Rendaashia.
Like the rest of the Dragon Quest games, except for Dragon Quest IX, the game allows the player to save their progress in 3 different save slots.
- Highly customisable characters, with many different faces, skin colours, weapons and armours. This game also includes different races like the human, ogre, weddie, puklipo, elf, and dwarf.
- Rental partners that can be recruited for a limited time up to 72 hours.
- Co-operative play with up to four players online.
- 3D graphics similar to those found in Dragon Quest VIII.
- Real-time map.
- Time-limited events that yield powerful equipment.
- A fully customisable house for the player character.
- A beach resort were you can relax with your friends, similar to The Sims.
- Blacksmith and dressmaker minigames where you can improve your weapons, armour pieces and clothes without alchemy.
- A parallel storyline where you control a pair of treasure hunter humans.
- A Japanese high school simulation mode.
- A brand new fishing minigame, similar to Animal Crossing's fishing mode for example.
- A minigame in which the player investigates crimes committed in an old mansion, similar to Clue.
For the first time in the Dragon Quest series, the player can choose between 6 out 7 different types of races, the 7th race having been introduced in the expansion Legend of the Ancient Dragon. These races include:
- Humans: The only playable race in the offline mode. They are native to Rendashia. After reaching a certain point in the main storyline, the Hero will be given the option to switch between Human and whichever race they chose at any church.
- Ogres: Native to Ogreed, the Ogres are hulking humanoids with mostly red skin tones with stripe-like markings, conical horns, two large on their shoulders and two smaller ones on the forehead, pointy ears, and a thick leonine tail. If the player chooses to play as an Ogre, it is never explained in detail how the Original Owner died. However, Village Chief Kurifugen later theorizes that he/she died upon coming into contact with Demon Zongaron.
- Wetlings: The Wetlings are an aquatic race with blue skin and fins on their ears and backs. They are native to the Wena Islands. If the player chooses to play as a Weddie, the Original Owner was killed in a swordfight that was supposed to be a friendly spar.
- Elves: Elves are native to Eltona. Differently to common depictions,the elves in this title are generally smaller in stature to Humans, and have pink skin, pointy ears, and two small insect-like wings on their backs.
- Dwarves: Dwarves are short beings with plump features, green skin, red hair and large round ears native to Dwachakka.
- Poppets: Poppets are the shortest of the races, and are often considered the cutest. They have diminutive proportiortion, with cream-colored skin, nose-less faces and cat-like ears, and are native to Puku Land.
- Dragons: A new race that debuted in Legend of the Ancient Dragon. They have teal scaled skin, reptilian golden eyes and two rather large backwards pointing conical black horns on the backside of their heads. Native to Nagaland, a land that was originally a floating continent before being sealed away in a pocket dimension due to the crimes done by the Dragons aganist the other races, effectively the Dragon race had been banished almost completly from the world of Astoltia.
- Demons: Introduced from the beginning as the antagonistic force threatening the world, the Demons are effectively an 8th race, which became greatly expanded upon with the Thorn Lady and the God of Destruction expansion. Native to the pocket dimension known as Nadiria, due of their race dark origins many powerful demons, such as Nelgel or Madesagora, had indeed turned to the side of evil and tried conquering the world of Astoltia. Many others however, while fiery with their emotions, have noble and even kind souls as the Hero personally discovers during their journey across Nadiria. Usually the appearence of a standard demon is that of a member of one of the other races (minus the Dragons) but with segmented horns in the frontal or lateral part of their heads and an altered skin tone, but sometimes extra characteristics are present, such as multiple eyes or arms, or have features and shapes completly of their own.
Also each of the seven main races had a personal guardian deity, direct progeny of the original creator Goddess Lutiana, protecting them. However the Dragon race's guardian deity, Nadraga, betrayed his siblings and allied himself with his mother's sworn enemy, the primordial source of all evil Jagonuba, which eventually lead to the former being destroyed.
|Version 1||Awakening of the Five Tribes
目覚めし五つの種族 Mezameshi itsutsu no shuzoku
|Yosuke Saito||Jin Fujisawa||Yuji Horii||Jin Fujisawa||Nobutaka Nishioka||1.0 (2012/08/02) |
|Version 2||The Sleeping Hero and the Guided Allies
眠れる勇者と導きの盟友 Nemureru yūsha to michibiki no meiyū
|Yosuke Saito||Chikara Saito||Yuji Horii||Atsushi Narita||Nobutaka Nishioka||2.0 (2013/12/05) |
|Version 3||Lore of the Ancient Dragon
いにしえの竜の伝承 Inishie no ryū no denshō
|Yosuke Saito||Chikara Saito||Yuji Horii||Atsushi Narita||Nobutaka Nishioka||3.0 (2015/04/30) |
|Version 4||The 5000 Year Voyage to a Faraway Hometown
5000年の旅路 遥かなる故郷へ 5000-Nen no tabiji harukanaru furusato e
|Yosuke Saito (4.0 - 4.2)
Koji Aoyama (4.3 - 4.5)
|Takashi Anzai||Yuji Horii||Atsushi Narita||Nobutaka Nishioka||4.0 (2017/11/16) |
|Version 5||Thorn Lady and the God of Destruction
いばらの巫女と滅びの神 Ibara no miko to horobi no kami
|Koji Aoyama||Takashi Anzai||Yuji Horii||Atsushi Narita||Nobutaka Nishioka||5.0 (2019/10/24) |
|Version 6||Heroes of the Heavenly Stars
天星の英雄たち Tenhoshi no eiyū-tachi
|Koji Aoyama||Takashi Anzai||Yuji Horii||Atsushi Narita||Nobutaka Nishioka||6.0 (2021/11/11) |
Dragon Quest X was first announced in a December 10, 2008 Square Enix press event, in which Yuji Horii revealed the game was being developed for the Wii. Following updates were sparse; Horii had announced that Dragon Quest X was "almost done" by April 2011, and that it would release "by the end of " without specifying a release date or a worldwide release.
Dragon Quest X was officially revealed on a September 5, 2011 conference aired on Ustream, which announced the game would be a MMORPG for the Wii. The Square Enix website confirmed that there would be monthly subscription fees.
The game has already been released in Japan and it has subscription fees. A 30-day subscription costs roughly $12, while a 60-day subscription scales up to $24. Paying the maximum for 90 days tops out at $35.50. 
On December 5th, 2013, Square Enix released the game's first expansion set, Dragon Quest X: The Sleeping Hero and the Guided Allies.
The second expansion set, Dragon Quest X: Legend of the Ancient Dragon, was released in Japan on April 30th, 2015.
The third expansion, Dragon Quest X: The 500 Year Voyage to a Faraway Hometown, was released in Japan on November 16th, 2017.
The fourth expansion, Dragon Quest X: Thorn Lady and the God of Destruction, was released in Japan on October 24th, 2019.
The fifth expansion, Dragon Quest X: Heroes of the Heavenly Stars, was released in Japan on November 11th, 2021.
Offline version (ドラクエ10オフライン)
An offline version is currently being developed by Square Enix. The purpose of this version is to allow different types of players to enjoy the game experience without having a network connection or a paid service, while providing a different aesthetic that provides an original experience, along with voice acting, turn-based combat, and the ability to have Maille, Fuser, Dasuton, Prince Ragus, and Fuura as party members. The Offline version was expected to be released in Japan on February 26th, 2022, while Version 2 of the game is set to be released as downloadable content in Japan on Spring of the same year, with Anlucia most likely reprising her role as a party member. However, it was delayed to Summer 2022 for polishing and refining, most likely in anticipation of whatever rarefied monster would appear in 6.1's release on March 2022 in an area that the Version 1 story already covered during the base game's release.
- New characters in the Hero's sibling's story featuring Garmy, the daughter of Gamilgo who follows her father's teachings and hates humans, Himea, an Elf and Fifi, a self-proclaimed genius girl said to be a candidate for the future of the Purification Shipwright.
- Spell of Restoration, which allows the player to start the Online version of the game at level 70 after the game is beaten.
- Character Builders from XI
- Voice Acting
- Turn-Based Combat
- Get a Job in Dragon Quest X on rpgamer.com
- Yuji Horii Slips Up, Makes a Wii Error on RPGamer
- Dragon Quest X almost done, announcement 'by the end of this year' on joystiq.com
- FAQ question (Japanese) (English via Google Translate) (1UP.com)
- Dragon Quest X Has Subscription Fees, But Offers 2 Free Hours Per Day (EGMNow)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia-ja (view authors).|