Dragon Quest Wiki

Hatchet Man is a recurring ability in the Dragon Quest series.


Attempts to launch an all-or-nothing critical strike, with the accuracy varying between games. It is strongly recommended for hunting Metal slimes and their brethren, especially so in games that do not have the Hela's hammer.


Dragon Quest IV Remakes[]

In the remakes, Hatchet Man is one of the special abilities that Psaro has upon joining in Chapter 6. Unlike in later installments, it does not cost MP to use.

Dragon Quest VI[]

Making its debut, it is learned by mastering the Warrior vocation and when Lizzie reaches Level 9, but has an accuracy of 3/8ths. It costs 0 MP to use, and is also used by Axesauruses in battle.

Dragon Quest VII[]

Acting the same in VI, it is learned when the Warrior vocation is mastered, along with mastering the Automaton class. While it costs 0 MP to use in the PS1 version, it costs 3 MP to use in the 3DS remake, and is also used by Charmours in battle.

Dragon Quest VIII[]

Learned by Yangus after allocating 19 skill points into the Axe skill tree, it has a 25% chance to land a normal blow, 25% to land a critical, and 50% to miss. It costs 3 MP to use, and can be upgraded into Executioner when 66 skill points are allocated into the same skill tree.

Dragon Quest IX[]

Learned with 58 skill points invested into the Axe skill tree, it acts the same as in its last 3 appearances, and functions similarly to Executioner in this entry. being a good move to use against Liquid metal slimes, Metal king slimes and Platinum king jewels. It costs 8 MP to use, and is used by Goresby-Purrvis and Excalipurr in battle.

Dragon Quest X[]

Acquired when players invest 76 skill points in the Axe skill tree, it acts the same as in previous games, with a charge time of 2.3 seconds. It costs 6 MP to use, and is used by Paladinsauruses, Tyrantosauruses, Overkilling machines, the Halberdsaurus, and Fender, as well as Axesauruses and Excalipurr once again. In addition, Nerodus has his own version of this skill called Devil Sword. In the Offline version of the game, it is learned by investing 7 skill points into the Hero and Hussar's Axe skill tree.

Dragon Quest XI[]

Learned by Hendrik after investing 16 skill points into his Axe Character Builder, it acts mostly the same as in previous appearances, but is now unaffected by a monster's evasion and any form of bedazzlement, giving the skill a true hit ratio of 50% in all situations and costs 4 MP to use.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate[]

The Hero can randomly select Hatchet Man from his Command Selection ability, performing it as a weighty over-head slash. It costs 15 MP to execute and has a start up time of approximately three seconds, but possesses outstanding launching power and inflicts 35% damage. Hatchet Man can kill as early as 45% damage on most stages, and can break a fully-charged shield in one strike.

Dragon Quest of the Stars[]

Appears as a skill for the Headsman's axe.

Dragon Quest Tact[]

Acting the same as in previous appearances, it is learned by Tuskateers at level 22 and Night clubbers at level 31, costing 26 MP to use. In addition, a Multislash variant of this skill makes its debut in the game.

Other languages[]

Other languages
French Coupe Claire
German Teufelsbeil
Dämonhieb (M)
Italian Colpo del sicario
Dutch Unknown
Norwegian Unknown
Greek Unknown
Portuguese Unknown
Russian Unknown
Chinese Unknown
Korean Unknown

See Also[]