Jessica Albert is a character in Dragon Quest VIII. A girl from a good home, she comes from a wealthy family in the small village of Alexandria. However, contrary to her upbringing, she is unskilled in the social niceties and expected behaviour of her environment, which often leads to conflict with her mother. She joins up with the Hero for personal reasons, strengthening the party with her flair for offensive magic. Something of a tomboy, Jessica is nothing like her mother, who expects her to be prim and proper in public.
Magic is far from Jessica's only strength; she is also an outstanding fighter. Whips, staves, knives and later swords are her weapons of choice.
Jessica has red hair in a form of long pigtails with a few strands of it hanging over her face. She wears a low-cut purple blouse with sleeves starting at the upper part of her arm. She has a yellow corset-like article of clothing around her stomach and waist, which has an auburn belt around it that a small pouch hangs from. She has a long, maroon colored skirt that has a white frill at the bottom. One can see that she has brownish-black stockings under the skirt, and pointed, brown shoes, into which the stockings are tucked.
Jessica also has other outfits such as:
- Jessica's outfit
- This is the outfit you first see Jessica in when you meet her.
- This is Jessica's only outfit that doesn't show off her mature curves. She has a white dress shirt with a red tie. Her skirt is long and black. It is found in her closet in Alexandria after obtaining her.
- Dancer's costume
- This outfit consists of a white bra and a reddish-orange skirt tied off at the hip.
- Bunny girl Jessica
- This outfit can be made if you put the silk bustier and the bunny tail in the Alchemy Pot. The appearance change is triggered by equipping Jessica with the bunny suit along with bunny ears and fishnet stockings. The result is a black bunny outfit. It can also be obtained by clearing the second level of the Monster Arena.
- Magic bikini
- This outfit increases Jessica's magic defence. This outfit is a blue and yellow bikini with a sarong around her waist.
- Dangerous bustier
- The only purpose of this outfit is to use it in the Alchemy Pot to make the Divine bustier. It is a black corset-like article with an open slash in the front which is laced to keep from falling apart.
- It straps around the back and and the part covering her rear is shaped like a heart. Two are found in the game so you can have the dangerous and divine bustier at the same time.
- Divine bustier
- Jessica's most defensive outfit. It increases her evasion and defense greatly. She has a purple and gold, low-cut blouse that is tied off to a brace-like necklace. And in the middle of this blouse is a laced open part that shows her skin, but can look like a zipper if not examined closely. She has a miniskirt attached to the blouse, but most of her legs are covered by white, decorated with purple and gold stockings. She wears long, white gloves with a similar decoration than her tights. She has wings (strictly for style) on her back. This whole outfit strongly resembles the Staff of Resurrection.
Jessica is a tomboy, which leads to much friction with her mother. Jessica is very loyal, going to the great length of avenging her brother at the cost of being disowned by her mother. Jessica has a stubborn side, shown when she refuses to leave Maella Abbey until she gives Angelo's ring back to him.
Jessica is introduced after The Hero and Yangus reach the top of the Tower of Alexandria, mistaking the two as the murderers of her brother, Alistair, who was slain by Dhoulmagus. After witnessing a vision of her brother's demise, learning it was the evil jester, she has a change of heart and resolves to join the party. However, her mother initially refuses, causing a falling out between the two. After joining the group and travelling to Maella Abbey, Jessica plays a key role in reining in the flirtatious Angelo. Later on, after destroying Dhoulmagus, Jessica retrieves the sceptre of Rhapthorne, and is suddenly possessed by its dark power. After a difficult battle, Jessica is freed from the staff's influence, and relies the truth about the party's real enemy. At the end of the story, Jessica has reconciled with her mother and informs the player of what has transpired after the defeat of Rhapthorne.
In the new alternate ending in the Nintendo 3DS-adaptation, after certain requirements are met, Jessica will reveal her true feelings for the hero and marry him.
|Attack +5||-||4||-||-||Increases attack by 5 when equipped with dagger/sword|
|Toxic Dagger||2||9||one||Yes||Chance to poison enemy.|
|Attack + 10||-||15||-||-||Increases attack by 10 when equipped with dagger/sword|
|Assassin's Stab||2||22||one||yes||1/6 chance to instantly kill an enemy.|
|Edge Master||-||30||-||-||Jessica can equip Swords.|
|Critical Hit Up||-||40||-||-||Increases critical hit rate with daggers/swords to 1/32.|
|Attack +20||-||52||-||-||Increases attack by 20 when equipped with dagger/sword|
|Toxic Sword||4||66||one||yes||Improved Toxic Dagger, deals 25% more damage.|
|Attack +30||-||82||-||-||Increases attack by 30 when equipped with dagger/sword|
|Sudden Death||2||100||one||yes||Improved Assassin Stab, 1/3 chance to kill foe and deals 50% more damage.|
|Attack +5||-||5||-||-||Increases attack by 5 when equipped with whip|
|Whiplash||4||10||group||yes||Normal attack with 1/8th chance to paralyzes enemies for 5-8 turns|
|Attack +10||-||16||-||-||Increases attack by 10 when equipped with whip|
|Twin Dragon Lash||3||23||group||yes||Strikes twice with 150% damage|
|Lady's Thong||2||32||group||yes||Steals enemy HP (13% of damage dealt to the first enemy)|
|Attack +15||-||43||-||-||Increases attack by 15 when equipped with whip|
|Lashings of Love||4||55||group||yes||50% more damage, may paralyzes enemies for 5-10 turns and has a greater chance than Whiplash|
|Attack +25||-||68||-||-||Increases attack by 25 when equipped with whip|
|Queen's Thong||2||82||group||yes||An improved version of Lady's Thong that restores 1/4th damage dealt and hits with 25% more damage|
|Serpent's Bite||8||100||group||yes||Grapple/rock element; causes 50% more damage then a regular attack. The damage decreases with each enemy that is hit|
|Acceleratle||3||3||party||-||Increases the party's agility and evasion.|
|Kasap||4||7||group||-||Decreases a group of enemies' defense by 25%.|
|Max MP +20||-||13||-||-||Increases Max MP by 20 while equipped with a staff|
|Bounce||4||21||self||-||Reflects all spells (including allies).|
|Magic Barrier||3||31||party||-||Creates a magic barrier around the party that lessens the damage and accuracy of enemy spells.|
|Max MP +50||-||55||-||-||Increases Max MP by 50 while equipped with a staff|
|Caduceus||0||57||one||yes||Heals a party member 75-100 HP|
|MP Recovery||-||70||-||-||Jessica gains 2-6 MP a turn.|
|Max MP +100||-||84||-||-||Increases Max MP by 100 while equipped with a staff|
|Kazing||15||100||one||-||Brings a party member back to life completely restoring their health with a 100% chance rate.|
|Attack +5||-||5||-||-||Attack power +5 while fighting barehanded|
|Attack +10||-||13||-||-||Attack power +10 while fighting barehanded.|
|Stone Throw||0||19||group||yes||Jessica throws stones at the enemy for 8~20 grapple/rock damage.|
|Critical Hit Up||-||28||-||-||Jessica's critical hit chance with a barehanded attack rises to 1/32.|
|Attack +20||-||35||-||-||Attack power +20 while fighting barehanded.|
|Harvest Moon||6||45||all||yes||Jessica does cartwheels, attacking a group of enemies|
|Evasion Up||-||52||-||-||Raises Jessica's evasion to 50% when fighting barehanded.|
|Thin Air||2||68||all||yes||Jessica sends waves of thin air hitting all enemies for damage based on her level.|
|Attack +35||-||85||-||-||Attack power +35 while fighting barehanded.|
|Magic Burst||all||100||all||yes||Jessica uses all of her MP in one destructive attack, damage is MP x 2.|
|Blow Kiss||0||8||one||yes||Jessica blows a kiss at the enemy to stun them with the power of love, 1/8th chance to succeed.|
|Charm Attack||-||18||-||-||Jessica has a 1/16 chance of immobilizing the enemy after a physical attack (or skill) (Passive)|
|Fuddle||5||26||group||-||Has a chance of confusing the enemy group.|
|Puff-Puff||0||38||one||-||Jessica squeezes her breasts to stun the enemy with seduction. Does not show action on screen|
|Hip Drop||0||48||one||yes||Jessica hits the enemy with her hip. Deals 30% more damage than a normal attack.|
|Sexy Beam||3||54||one||yes||Channels sex appeal to create a damaging pink ray; 1⁄8 chance to cause confusion, deals between 65~75 damage|
|Kasnooze||8||68||all||-||Jessica puts the enemy to sleep for 2-5 turns. It is more likely to succeed than Snooze|
|Improved Charm Attack||-||78||-||-||Jessica has a 1/8 chance of immobilizing the enemy after a physical attack (or skill) (Passive).|
|Pink Typhoon||5||88||group||yes||Jessica spins around creating a pink wind storm, deals 76~84 woosh damage.|
Jessica dances to heal a bit of HP to the whole party (around 70-100 to everyone requiring no MP)
|Frizz||2||Start||One||Yes||Fries an enemy|
|Crack||3||10||One||Yes||Icy strike on enemy|
|Evac||2||11||Party||--||Teleports out of dungeon|
|Sizz||4||11||Group||Yes||Burns a group of enemies|
|Snooze||3||12||Group||No||Puts a group of enemies to sleep|
|Bang||5||14||All||Yes||Explosion strikes all enemies|
|Crackle||5||16||Group||Yes||Freezes a group of enemies|
|Oomph||6||19||Ally||--||Doubles one ally's attack|
|Sizzle||6||20||Group||Yes||Burns a group of enemies|
|Frizzle||4||21||One||Yes||Torches an enemy|
|Boom||8||23||All||Yes||Massive explosion strikes all enemies|
|Insulatle||3||25||Party||--||Forms a barrier that protects the party from fire or ice breath.|
|Kaboom||15||33||All||Yes||Colossal explosion strikes all enemies|
|Kafrizzle||10||35||One||Yes||Immolates an enemy|
|Kasizzle||10||Event||Group||Yes||Cremates a group of enemies|
|Kacrackle||12||Event||All||Yes||Lacerates all enemies with ice|
- "A waterfall inside a cave . . . It's kind of mystical! I heard about this 'Master of the Waterfall' who lives here. I bet he's really mystical too." -In the Waterfall Cave
- "I can't believe they were still talking about what to do! What were they waiting for? Unbelievable! Still, we did get our hands on the Moonshadow Harp, so all's well that ends well." -After defeating Don Mole and in Ascantha
- "The castle and servants are still covered in thorns . . . We've got to put things right. And the only way to do that is by defeating Dhoulmagus!" -In Castle Trodain
- "No matter how many times I come here, I can't shake the feeling that I'm in a dream. I mean, look around! It's like a fairy tale come to life! Everything's so beautiful that it's hard to believe it's real." -In the Moonshadow Realm after defeating Don Mole
- "I heard about this castle from one of the sailors on the Port Prospect ferry. An eccentric royal family is supposed to live here. He said they were reclusive collectors, but I haven't heard much about them recently." -In Minnie's Castle for the first time
- "I'm starting to get the feeling this might be a trap . . . I can't believe Dhoulmagus didn't attack us before he ran into the ruins. I mean, think about who we're dealing with here. He HAS to be up to something." -Upon seeing Dhoulmagus enter the Dark Ruins
- "Didn't you say that the people of Farebury went into a tizzy when they caught sight of King Trode? So you'd think that the sky turning red would send them into a panic. But they seem to be taking it rather well, all things considered." -After Rhapthorne's true form is revealed and in Farebury
- "Sometimes I think about what poetic justice it would be to defeat Rhapthorne here, in the same place we first met Dhoulmagus. It's just a what-if sort of thing. Thoughts like that go through my mind whenever I lie awake, thinking about all the people he's killed." -In Maella Abbey after Marcello's botched ceremony in Neos
- "Coming here is so relaxing. It almost makes me forget about the crisis we're all facing. I know we don't have time to take a break, but still, it's nice to come here every once in a while." -In the Mystical Spring after Rhapthorne reveals his true form
- "Even though they live in a remote corner of the world, the people here seem to know that strange things are afoot. Everyone looks so nervous and worried. Don't you think?" -In Orkutsk after Rhapthorne reveals his true form
- "I can't imagine that our collecting all the mini medals is responsible, but the castle does seem more lively now, doesn't it? I'm happy for them. It reminds me how great it'll be when the curse on Trodain Castle is finally lifted! Let's make it happen, guys!" -After giving Princess Minnie all of the mini medals
- "For some reason I expected the people of Empycchu to stay calm in the face of what's happening to the world. But they're just as tense as people everywhere else. More, perhaps. Then again, I'm sure they're only getting incomplete reports of what's happening. That would make anyone jumpy." -In Empycchu
- "Ah, there's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing something through to the end, is there? Now it's just the Lord of Darkness left. And if we still need to train more before we can beat him, we can always take this lot in here on again, can't we?" -After defeating Estark and inside Memories Lane
- "This is a great place for hiking, isn't it? Or it would be, if only we didn't have to worry about monsters at every turn. Why do they have to ruin everything? Argh, it's so frustrating!" -In the secluded area only accessible by the Godbird's Soulstone near Arcadia and the Chapel of Autumn
- "Now that we've completed all of the Dragovian Trials, I don't really see why we need to come here any more. Or are you feeling a bit homesick? I'd totally understand, if that were the case. Speaking of which, maybe I should pay Alexandria a visit, too . . ." -In the Dragovian Sanctuary after all the trials are completed
- Japanese: Ayana Taketatsu - Dragon Quest VIII, Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below, Dragon Quest Heroes II, Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary
中文(繁體): 潔西卡 jiéxīkǎ
- With the only differences being hair colour and age, Jessica looks similar to Bouquet, one the main characters of Blue Dragon, an anime and video game series that Akira Toriyama worked on as a character designer.
- Contrary to initial beliefs, the changes made to Jessica's costumes in the 3DS remake were not a result of Nintendo's "Family-Friendly" policies, but rather the CERO, Japan's analog to the ESRB, restrictions for the game's A rating becoming tighter.
|This article is a stub.|
Please help Dragon Quest Wiki by expanding it.