Yangus is a character in Dragon Quest VIII who accompanies the Hero on his missions. Yangus is also the featured character of Shounen Yangus to Fushigi no Dungeon spin-off. He serves as a powerful tank character over the course of the game. He refers to the Hero as "Guv" (governor). He is not especially bright, and is apparantly aware of this fact. Regardless, he does what he can to help the hero and his friends.
Originally a bandit from Pickham, Yangus tried to "go straight", as he himself put it, but because of his appearance people didn't give him much of a chance, which brought him back to a life of crime. However, one fateful day, he tried to make some money off of tolling a bridge, the same bridge which the Hero, King Trode and Medea were about to cross. Trode refused to pay - the bridge being within his kingdom - causing Yangus to attack the group, but his attack failed and he ended up collapsing the bridge while The Hero, Trode and Medea made it to the other side, leaving Yangus hanging on for his life.
Trode insisted the group leave Yangus. But The Hero decided to save Yangus, who thanked the Hero and in turn pledged his loyalty to him. It is during this scene that Yangus gives the Hero the nickname of Guv. When asked by Jessica early in the story, Yangus explains that it was The Hero who "helped him go straight".
When the group reaches the town of Pickham, Medea is stolen and sold to Red, a woman who lives on the outskirts of the region. It's revealed that Yangus and Red have history together (strongly implied to be romantic). At the end of the game, after the final boss is defeated, Jessica informs the Hero that Yangus and Red have gone into business together.
|Attribute||Starting Stats||Maximum Stats|
|Initial gear||Oaken Club, Bandit's Grass Skirt, Leather Hat|
Yangus also possesses a 20% resistance to frizz and fire breath damage.
As Yangus has the highest strength throughout the bulk of the game, he will deal the most damage out of any character physically. But Yangus will gain access access to Healing spells and Kabuff if you dabble in his humanity skillset. This will help immensely in the beginning of the game, but as the journey progresses he will be outclassed by Angelo and the Hero. Each of Yangus' weapon paths has high damage modifiers and various bonus attributes: Scythes if you want to steal items or have access to the Big Banga attack. Axes are the most helpful for fighting bosses and metal slimes. Clubs if you want to farm gold easier, as well as pound away pesky material monsters. Humanity will lead to Yangus' more comedic abilities, like Underpants Dance and Golden Oldies. Yangus also has the most useful fisticuffs skillset.
|Helm Splitter||0||6||One||Yes||Single strike that reduces the defense of the target. Effect accuracy depends on enemy resistance to Sap.||yes|
|Attack +5||--||12||--||--||Increases attack by +5 when equipped with an axe.||--|
|Hatchet Man||3||19||One||Yes||Single strike with a 50% chance of hitting the enemy and a 50% chance to be a critical hit if it connects.|
|Critical Hit Up||--||26||--||--||Increases the chance of critical hit with axes from 1/64 to 1/32.||--|
|Attack +10||--||34||--||--||Increases attack by +10 when equipped with an axe.||--|
|Parallax||2||42||One||Yes||Single strike that does 50% more damage than a normal attack to a single enemy and has a 12.5% chance of paralyzing the enemy for 5-8 turns.||yes|
|Axes of Evil||2||54||Group||Yes||Attacks a group of enemies.||first hit|
|Executioner||3||66||One||No||A more powerful version of Hatchet Man; Single strike with a 50% chance of hitting the enemy and is an automatic critical hit if it connects.|
|Attack +20||--||82||--||--||Increases attack by +20 when equipped with an axe.||--|
|Typhoeus' Maul||6||100||One||Yes||Single strike that does 50% more damage than a normal attack and deals double damage to beasts.|
|Attack +5||--||9||--||--||Increases attack by +5 when equipped with a club.||--|
|Heart Breaker||2||19||One||Yes||Single strike that deals normal damage and has a 12.5% chance of stunning an enemy for one turn.|
|Penny Pincher||2||25||One||Yes||Single strike that deals normal damage and has a chance of stealing a small amount of gold from the enemy.|
|Monster Masher||3||32||One||Yes||Single strike that deals 10% more damage than a normal attack and deals 50% more damage to enemies of the material family.|
|Attack +10||--||48||--||--||Increases attack by +10 when equipped with a club.||--|
|Critical Hit Up||--||59||--||--||Increases the critical hit rate with clubs from 1/64 to 1/32.||--|
|Mind Breaker||2||71||One||Yes||Single strike that deals 25% more damage than a normal attack and has a 25% chance of causing an enemy to lose one turn.|
|Attack +25||--||82||--||--||Increases attack by +25 when equipped with a club.||--|
|Gold Rush||2||93||One||Yes||Single strike that causes 25% more damage than a normal attack and has a chance of stealing a small amount of gold from the enemy, has a higher success rate than Penny Pincher and steals more gold.|
|Devil Crusher||5||100||One||Yes||Single strike that deals double damage to enemies of the demon or material family, and 10% more damage to all other types.|
|Attack +5||--||12||--||--||Increases attack by +5 when equipped with a scythe.||--|
|Steal Sickle||0||22||One||Yes||Single strike with a chance of stealing an item from the target; Success rate is the normal item's drop rate divided by 4.|
|Wind Sickles||0||32||One||Yes||Deals damage based on level to a single target.|
|Attack +10||--||42||--||--||Increases attack by +10 when equipped with a scythe.||--|
|Grim Reaper||3||50||Group||Yes||Attacks a group of enemies with a chance of instantly killing the targets; Effect accuracy depends on foe's resistance to Whack.|
|Critical Hit Up||--||60||--||--||Increases the chance of critical hit with scythes from 1/64 to 1/32.||--|
|Stainless Steal Sickle||0||70||One||Yes||Single strike with a chance of stealing an item from the target; Success rate is the item's normal drop rate divided by 2 and damage is 25% higher than a normal blow.|
|Attack +25||--||80||--||--||Increases attack by +25 when equipped with a scythe.||--|
|Grimmer Reaper||3||90||Group||Yes||Attacks a group of enemies with a small chance of instantly killing the targets, and deals 25% more damage to the zombie family.|
|Big Banga||30||100||All||Yes||Heavy damage to all enemies.|
|Attack +5||--||3||--||--||Increases attack by +5 when not equipped with a weapon.||--|
|Agility +10||--||7||--||--||Increases Yangus' agility by 10 points.||--|
|Knuckle Sandwich||2||12||one||no||Inflicts 150% damage to a single enemy.||yes|
|Critical Hit Up||--||18||--||--||Increases the chance of critical hit with no weapon equipped from 1/64 to 1/32.||--|
|Attack +20||--||25||--||--||Increases attack by +20 when not equipped with a weapon.||--|
|Padfoot||4||33||--||--||Field spell that reduces the chance of random battles.||--|
|Thin Air||2||42||all||yes||Inflicts up to 132 points of damage on all enemies.||no|
|Multifists||0||60||1-4||yes||4 blows per attack; Each at approx: 33%.||yes|
|Attack +45||--||77||--||--||Increases attack by +45 when not equipped with a weapon.||--|
|Boulder Toss||4||100||all||yes||Inflicts 72-104 damage on all enemies.||no|
|Whistle||0||4||--||--||Loud whistle that immediately initiates a random battle (where applicable).||--|
|Heal||2||10||Ally||Yes||Heals a single party member for 30-40 HP.||--|
|Nose for Treasure||0||16||--||--||Field skill that gives the number of nearby treasure chests, but not their location.||--|
|War Cry||0||22||All||--||Deals no damage, but can cause all enemies to lose their next turn.||--|
|Share Magic||0||32||Ally||Yes||Gives about 40% of Yangus' MP to the targeted party member.||--|
|Kabuff||3||42||Party||--||Raises all party members' defence by 25%.||--|
|Underpants Dance||0||55||All||--||Deals no damage, but can cause all enemies to lose their next turn. Has a higher success rate than Warcry.||--|
|Midheal||3||68||Ally||Yes||Heals a single party member for 70-80 HP.||--|
|Kerplunk||All||82||Party||--||Causes Yangus to perish, but resurrects and heals all other party members.||--|
|Golden Oldies||15||100||1-4||No||Summons a bunch of geezers who strike random enemies four times. Damage per strike is Yangus' level multiplied by 1.5.|
- "No feasts this time, eh? I thought we'd be gettin' another load o' grub for that. Almost weren't worth the effort." -After defeating Don Mole and in Ascantha
- "That bloke through the Moonshadow window's a bit of a myst'ry, ain't 'e? First we find 'im in Ascantha, an' then we bump into 'im again in Grandad's castle. I s'pose it's more of a myst'ry wot I was doin' in a library though, eh!?" -About Ishmahri in Castle Trodain
- "So if we 'and over the Moonshadow 'arp that weird geezer'll 'elp us get the boat movin'. That was the deal, right? Come on then! Wot are we waitin' for!?" -In the Moonshadow Realm after defeating Don Mole
- "It looks like a castle, but it ain't very big, eh? An' it ain't in very good shape, neither. Bit weird if you ask me." -In Minnie's Castle
- "Blimey lummy . . . Here we are, eh? We've finally caught wiv Dhoulmagus. I dunno wot to do wiv meself."
- "'Finally caught up'? I don't feel like we actually did anything! It's more like Dhoulmagus cornered himself for us!" -Yangus and then Jessica respectively upon seeing Dhoulmagus enter the Dark Ruins
- "Wot's all the racket about!? An'-Phwoar! It smells like a brewery in 'ere! I didn't think the Goddess approved o' drinkin' to excess, and these are the bleedin' clergy! If this is 'ow they're carryin' on, it really will be the end o' the world!" -In Maella Abbey after Marcello's botched ceremony in Neos
- "D'ya think Kalderasha an' Valentina are gonna be awright? I doubt monsters are gonna come to town, but I can't 'elp worryin' about it." -After Rhapthorne reveals his true form and the party is in Farebury
- "I ain't got a clue 'ow Rhapthorne thinks 'e's gonna destroy the world. But I reckon the 'ole place'll end up lookin' a bit like a desert. Just barren all over, like." -In the Southern Desert after Rhapthorne reveals his true form
- "The 'orse-princess is diff'rent to Red an' Jessica. I s'pose it's cos she's royalty, like. Not that she acts like a toff, mind you. She's a bit of a myst'ry, really." -About Princess Medea in the Mystical Spring
- "The monsters 'ere are still pretty quiet, eh? I thought they might've gone a bit bonkers now Rhapthorne's causin' such a fuss. I s'pose they're too attached to the old man to 'urt 'im now, though. Bit like cats an' dogs." -In the Seer's house after Rhapthorne reveals his true form
- "You plannin' on goin' all 'round the world to see 'ow people are copin' wiv Rhapthorne bein' back on the scene, guv? Wot a nice bloke you are! I'd never be bothered to go to all that effort, meself!" -In Orkutsk after Rhapthorne reveals his true form
- "I s'pose there ain't no point coming' 'ere now we've collected all the medals she wants. Bit of a shame really." -After giving Princess Minnie all of the mini medals
- "We've done wot we was aimin' for 'ere, 'aven't we? Now all that's left is to give the Lord o' Darkness the 'eave-'o, right?" -In Memories Lane after defeating Estark
- Throughout Dragon Quest VIII, there is a recurring gag involving Yangus and King Trode. During certain scenes in the game, King Trode suddenly appears out of nowhere, causing a surprised Yangus to strike an unusual pose and say "Cor Blimey!!!" He gets tired of saying his catchphrase by the time the party visits Tryan Gully, though.
- There's also a running gag where Yangus calls King Trode "Grandad".
- In the Japanese version, Yangus uses dockworker slang, while in the English version he has a Cockney accent.
- One of his lines in the opening scene of the game:
- (Original Japanese) "It's gonna get dark if we 'ang about 'ere much longer. I'm in the mood for some heavy drinking."
- (English Version) "It's gonna get dark if we 'ang about 'ere much longer. Let's 'ead into town. There's better places than this to spend an evenin'."
- He has a scholarly friend in Pickham named Brains.
- His backstory of him being the first party member the Hero encounters in his quest would later be used for Erik, from Dragon Quest XI. Both have a soft spot for a female (Red and Mia), both have fun arguments with someone who is cursed, (Trode and Veronica), and both seek atonement for their bad deeds in the past.
- He is also similar to Dave from the same game. Both are brutish characters that become a loyal companion for someone (Hero and Sylvando), after their normal life went bad. (Yangus trying to go straight, but relapsed on banditry, Dave being a pirate after Zwaardsrust fell to Mordegon's army) Both are even voiced by Fumihiko Tachiki in the Japanese version of their games.
|This article is a stub.|
Please help Dragon Quest Wiki by expanding it.